You are here

Unclaimed Funds

U.S. Bankruptcy Court
Southern District of Alabama

Unclaimed Funds

Unclaimed funds are funds held by the court for an owner that has either failed to claim the funds, failed to negotiate a payment of the funds, or cannot be located.  Unlike most claims against the government, a claim for unclaimed funds is never extinguished.  The claim exists in perpetuity and the funds may be claimed at any time by the owner, a successor, or any other petitioner that proves a right to the funds.


How do I know if I have Unclaimed Funds that are held by the Bankruptcy Court?


Search for Unclaimed Funds by using the U.S. Bankruptcy Unclaimed Funds Locator.


                                    Unclaimed Funds Locator

      The link above only works with Chrome, FireFox, Safari, or IE11


. Select ALSB-Alabama Southern Bankruptcy in the drop-down box labeled "Court".

. To narrow your search, enter other fields in the search utility, as appropriate.

. Click on the Search button at the bottom of the page.


How to File for Unclaimed Funds

The party entitled to the funds or the party’s agent must petition the court with an Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds and provide the required documentation.


           Individual Owner of Record


If you are an individual who is the owner of record of the unclaimed funds, click on Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds for Individual Owner of Record for the application and instructions.  An owner of record is the person in whose name the unclaimed funds were remitted to the court.


           All Other Claimants


If you are not an individual owner of record, click on Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds for Other Than an Individual Owner of Record for the application and instructions.


Click here for Procedures for Filing Unclaimed Funds Electronic.

Click here for Application for Creditor/Limited Use Password.

Click here for Form AO 213.


For additional information, please call 251-441-5391 and ask to speak with someone in the financial department.