You are here

Resources for Debtors with Federal Student Loans

To find out if a loan is a federal loan, a debtor can create an account at or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center, 1-800-4-FED-AID, TTY 1-800-730-8913.  A debtor should contact his or her lender or loan holder to get more information about private loans.

Some federal loans may be available for an administrative discharge.  An administrative discharge is where the agency cancels the debt in situations where the borrower cannot repay.  There are several grounds for seeking an administrative discharge.  For information about which loans are eligible for administrative discharge, go to:

For information about lowering or suspending federal student loan payments, go to: